Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Too Much Information

So I've told you all about the many Facebook groups I've joined.  These groups can be very helpful, with newbies and veterans alike, sharing their stories of excitements and disappointments.  I often enjoy going on these pages, and they're one of the reasons why I log onto Facebook everyday.  But then there are days when too much information is shared and it leaves one doubtful that they may not make to the UAE.

So today, just like everyday I browsed the groups to read the new posts.  When I check the posts, I'm always looking and hoping that someone is headed to my school.  I've met one person so far and we've been a great support to each other.  Anyway, there was one post that stood out and had several people, including myself, wondering if we would be granted visas.  A young lady shared her story of applying to schools in Abu Dhabi and how she and her husband were turned down because they both have a masters degree in education.  I know you're probably wondering why this is an issue.  Apparently there's a new law and teachers must have a bachelors in education in order to teach in the UAE.  Unlike the U.S., a masters degree in education is not enough.  I'm not sure how true this is but it caused quite a stir.  Like many others in the group, my bachelors degree is not in education, so it left me a little shaken.  I did read somewhere that secondary teachers must hold a bachelors degree in the subject they want to teach, so maybe this "new rule" is only for those teachers.  

Whatever the case may be, I've decided that I'm not going to worry about it or lose sleep. I don't think I've come this far in the game to be turned around now.  Sometimes when we're doing things out of the norm, I think we subconsciously look for things to go wrong.  You all know how much I've prayed and fasted on this opportunity, so I believe this news is just a distraction.  I'm going to keep pushing forward and staying positive.  

Until Next Time...  

2 comments:

  1. Wow I definitely didn't see that information in the FB groups. It doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion. My undergrad isn't in education however, for my masters I still had to complete EDU coursework in addition to practicums , student teaching etc. I'm personally not going to make that an issue, until or if it becomes one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Quintaja! It doesn't make much sense to me either, so I'm not going to dwell on it. Besides if it were an issue, I would have hoped I would have been notified by now. I'm just ready to hear something, June seems so far away. The HR department told me they would contact me towards the end of the school year (June 23rd) to begin making flight arrangements. Once I get that email, then it really gets real!

      Delete